Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A New Kind of Coleslaw



So, in our effort to eat better, I'm continuing with salads!  This one I'm really excited about because it turned out to be a big super bowl hit!  Our friends invited us for burgers and brews...and of course football, though none of us were big fans of either team.  They asked us to bring a side dish, and I immediately thought of coleslaw.  This is a slightly new recipe for me, but everyone loved it!
I make coleslaw often, though I call it cabbage salad since it's not your traditional mayonnaise coleslaw.  I like traditional coleslaw just fine, but I prefer a lighter, fresher version.  Plus, I've found that if you make it simple, then it can go on anything.  I wrote about one version of my cabbage salad (here), but this versatile dish lends itself to many versions.  This one actually has a dressing, so it can be considered a side dish and not just a garnish.
What I love about this salad in particular is it is extremely flavorful, with a slight nutty, toasted flavor from the sesame oil.  I would recommend shredding the cabbage very finely because it easily soaks up all the flavor and is easier to eat.  In this case, a mandolin comes in handy!

Asian Cabbage Salad/Coleslaw

6 cups red and green cabbage, shredded fine
1 cup green onion, chopped
1 cup cilantro, rough chop
2 TB sesame seeds
Vinaigrette:
1 TB toasted sesame oil
1 TB Bragg's Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
1 TB rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp sriracha (optional)

In a large bowl, combine cabbage, green onion, cilantro, and sesame seeds.






Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients until sugar is dissolved.




Pour over cabbage mixture and mix to coat cabbage completely.  You can eat immediately, but it is best to refrigerate it for 1-2 hours in order for it to marinate.  It is best on the day it is made.



This salad also makes a delicious, deeply flavored garnish.  Here is our morning chicken frittata with cabbage salad and avocado.  YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment