Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Paleo Pizza





I've noticed that this "Paleo Diet" is really in style now.  Even friends I did not expect to be into diets are getting on board.  Like I said earlier, I'm not into "dieting," but I have done some nutrition research that indicates a low-carb diet is very beneficial..  This article is a short, but valuable overview of some of the latest nutrition findings: http://io9.com/5984275/the-worst-lies-that-mainstream-nutrition-has-told-you.  For that reason, I've been searching for recipes that provide me with the flavors and textures that I'm used to, but use little to no grains, even whole grains.  I've been finding more and more "paleo" recipes that are finding fun ways to skirt around carbs.  I recently found this Paleo Pizza recipe online and decided to try it out.  It uses cauliflower as the main ingredient in the crust instead of flour.  I have experimented with cauliflower in place of rice, and it actually, in my opinion, is a perfect substitute.  Tender, al dente cauliflower nibblets are almost synonymous to the texture of rice, plus cauliflower has the same, neutral flavor.  So, I couldn't help but think that, if done well, it would be a good substitute for a crust.  Also, I was excited about the toppings of this pizza because they are some of my favorites: olives, capers, anchovies.

The crust in the original recipe, however, contained mozzarella.  Since I don't eat dairy, and "fake cheese" is not a good substitute for the stringy texture of melted mozzarella, I decided to exclude cheese from the recipe altogether.  Because of this, I added in more egg to make sure that the cauliflower would stay together.  The end product was...well, not a great success in the sense that it wasn't at all like pizza crust.  It was more like a cauliflower omelet.  In hindsight, one egg might have held the cauliflower together and allowed for the crust to become crispy.  My other downfall was not drying out the cauliflower completely.  The original recipe made a point to say that the cauliflower needed to be very dry in order to work properly. I promptly ignored this, thinking it would be fine.  It, clearly, was not.  

Despite my downfalls, though, I actually would recommend trying this out.  Don't expect it to be a perfect substitute for crispy, gooey pizza goodness...that's not what it is about.  But is is a healthy dinner option that is fun and easy to make, and with all the delicious toppings, it has more than enough flavor to satisfy.  I know that I will be making this again, but next time, I'll try one egg, and super dry cauliflower.  Or maybe it will just evolve into Omelet Pizza and leave it at that! :)


Original Paleo Pizza Recipe
From: http://www.theironyou.com/2013/02/paleo-pizza-marinara.html

Crust

1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small florets
½ cup / 1.7 oz / 50 gr light mozzarella, shredded
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
pinch of black pepper

Topping 

3 ladlefuls tomato sauce
3 tablespoons green olives, sliced
3 tablespoons black olives, sliced
1 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon oregano
anchovy fillets (optional)
Olive oil as needed

Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C). Place a rack in the middle. Line with parchment paper a baking sheet and lightly grease it with olive oil.
In a food processor rice the cauliflower (not puree, rice grain size crumbles). Transfer to a microwave dish and microwave on high for around 8 minutes or until cooked.
Place the cauliflower rice in a colander, and with the help of a large spoon squeeze as much moisture out as you can. This is very important. The cauliflower needs to be dry. Otherwise you’ll end up with a mushy dough; not a crusty one. Alternatively you can place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze out the moisture.
In a large bowl mix the cauliflower, egg, mozzarella, oregano, salt and pepper until well combined. 
Press the mixture onto the baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
Remove from the oven and let cool from 5 minutes.
Spread tomato sauce evenly on the dough; top with sliced olives, capers and anchovies (if using). Sprinkle oregano on top and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Serve warm.



T.E.A's Version of Paleo Pizza

Crust:
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 eggs 
salt and pepper to taste
optional: herbs of choice

Toppings:
1 cup tomato sauce (recipe below)
1/2 cup green and black olives, sliced
1/4 cup capers
1/4 cup anchovy fillets (I used the really yummy Turkish anchovies that I used for Pasta Puttanesca)
fresh arugula for garnish

1. Add cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until cauliflower resembles coarse meal.  In a bowl combine cauliflower, eggs, and seasoning.  Heat oven to 450F.







2. Line a baking sheet with parchment and oil with non-stick spray.
3. Pour cauliflower mixture onto parchment and spread out until about 1/2 inch thick.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.




5.  Add on toppings, then put back into the oven until warm.






6.  Top with arugula and enjoy!




Tomato Sauce:

I decided I wanted something quick and easy, so I just threw some things together.  Plus, the toppings are strongly flavored and salty, so the sauce doesn't have to be overly complicated.

1 cup pureed canned tomatoes
1 tsp garlic, fine mince
sprinkle of dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients into a small saucepan.  Heat to a simmer.  Season to taste.   Use warm on pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment