Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Quest for Perfect Pesto

I will start out by saying that I didn't find the holy grail this time.  In my quest to make the perfect pesto, I still have a ways to go.  But, that being said, I made some pretty tasty pesto: creamy, fragrant, herbaceous.
The best pesto I ever had (or at least remember having) was not long ago at my mother-in-laws house.  Now, it could have been so delicious because we were all cooking together in her gorgeous kitchen, laughing, drinking wine, and have an overall fantastic time.  But her pesto was something special.  It was so simple, but clean, fresh, and perfectly seasoned.  I wish desperately to make pesto that good again.
Great pesto (in my opinion, of course) should be very smooth, so it can be spread on toast, mixed with veggies, or incorporated into pasta.  It should be creamy and thick, but should have the hint of tart lemon to brighten it.  It should be fully fragrant with basil; the herb flavor should never be covered by the other ingredients.  It should also be brightly green and beautiful.


Now that it is high summer and the basil is in abundance.  It is the perfect time to try and make great pesto.  I started with the basic ingredients: basil, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and pine nuts.  The one ingredient I did not include, might have been my ultimate downfall: cheese.  A great pesto includes freshly grated hard cheese, such as Parmesan.  The pine nuts add the bulk of the thickness and creaminess, but cheese...well, we all know how good cheese is.  I believe the addition of grated cheese brings that perfectly salty, tart flavor that great pesto is known for.  Unfortunately, cheese isn't something I can eat.  For that reason alone, I may never be able to make the "perfect pesto."
I have tried making pesto in other ways before.  Spinach pesto is quite common, and is a good alternative for people who don't like basil.  I have tried making pesto with different nuts, such as walnuts or sunflower seeds...but they just don't cut it.  I think walnuts are much too bitter, and sunflower seeds, while delicious, do not break down well when pureed. My last pesto was unpleasantly chunky.  Pine nuts are essential to making a smooth sauce.
If you've never tried pesto, or if you need a new sauce for your chicken tonight, or if you just haven't yet perfected your own pesto recipe, now is the time to experiment!  The recipe below is what I made last night.  Although it wasn't "perfect," it was healthy, filling, and absolutely delicious.  I would recommend trying different proportions of the ingredients.  I would have added a few less pine nuts, and maybe a little more basil.  But I'll have to keep trying!

T.E.A's Pesto
makes about 1 cup

2 handfuls fresh basil (or spinach)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
2 tsp lemon juice (more or less to taste)
1 garlic clove
good quality olive oil
salt to taste

Optional, but highly recommended:
1/2 cup grated hard cheese, such as Parmesan

1. To toast pine nuts: heat a skillet on high and add nuts.  Shake pan continuously until nuts begin to smell fragrant and turn golden brown. *Watch out! Pine nuts burn easily!



2. In a food processor, add basil, toasted pine nuts, lemon juice, garlic, cheese, and about 1 tsp salt.  Puree until mixed together.  While the food processor is running, drizzle in olive oil until the whole mix comes together in a thick sauce.  Add more olive oil if you like a runnier pesto.  Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.




3. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months (whoo! pesto in December!)

Way to use pesto:

-mix into pasta
-mix into roasted veggies 
-use as a sauce on meats...it would be spectacular on lamb kabobs!
-spread on toast or crackers
-use as a dip
-use as a spread on sandwiches
-use instead of tomato sauce on pizza







Be creative and have fun!  Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment