Friday, May 3, 2013

Need a cookie fix?

I love when I find a recipe that fills some unconscious desire of mine.  Most of my desires are centered around finding healthier ways of eating.  However, I still get those sugar cravings and I always wish that I could get my sweet fix, but not feel overly guilty for it.  For one, I've been trying to go more grain-free, meaning we eat a whole lot less bread, wheat flours, rice, pasta, crackers, and chips.  Secondly, I've been adding in more healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil, and fat from nuts.  I've also been taking more and more sugar, in general, out of our diet.  So, when I stumbled upon this recipe, I was really excited.  I found the perfect little sweet bite: garbanzo bean cookies.  They fill all of my requirements: dairy-free, grain-free (meaning no gluten either!), low-sugar, with a dose of healthy fat.  And they are deliciously rich and fudge-y right out of the oven.  Plus, they are ridiculously easy to make, and even the raw dough tastes good!  


I would highly recommend this recipe as it is a great substitute for regular chocolate chip cookies.  The only downside is they are a touch more savory than the average cookie.  Garbanzo beans are relatively neutral in flavor, but since they make up the bulk of this cookies, their taste still shines through.  One alternative to garbanzo beans would be to use white beans instead.  They have about the same consistency, but a different flavor.  I'll have to try that next time!  Also, I used molasses for the sugar component, though you could use honey or brown sugar.


My only real note about these is that I would recommend finding a raw peanut butter, if possible.  I usually get peanut butter in bulk or make it myself at home.  That way, I know that only peanuts are in it...no extra salt, oils, or sugar.  If you buy peanut butter in the jar, make sure to look at the ingredients.  Even the organic or natural butters tend to add a lot of unnecessary things.  If there is added salt or sugar in your peanut butter, you don't have to add as much sugar into the recipe.  I would recommend adding in a little sugar, then tasting the dough and adjusting from there.  That way you have complete control over the sugar content.


Also, the blog I got these from said they weren't good cold.  I disagree.  I think the dough would be fantastic frozen into little cookie bites.  And the baked cookies can be enjoyed at any time!

Garbanzo Bean Cookies
Adapted from Texanerin Baking (see link here
makes 9-10 cookies

1 1/4 cup garbanzo beans
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup molasses
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt (unless your peanut butter contains salt)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. If you're using dried garbanzo beans, soak garbanzos overnight.  Put in a pot with enough water to cover them.  Bring to a boil, and boil for about 20 minutes or until al dente.  Spread out on a baking sheet or large casserole dish to cool quickly.  Use immediately or refrigerate or freeze for later use.



OR
If you're using canned beans, drain beans and rinse them well.  

2. Preheat oven to 350F.  In a food processor, add beans, peanut butter, molasses, vanilla, baking powder, and salt.  Pulse until well combined into a smooth dough.  It will be very sticky.





3.  Pour dough into a bowl, and add in chocolate chips.  Stir until well combined.



4.  To form cookies, take about 2 TB of dough and roll into a ball.  Flatten in slightly with your fingers.
5. Place molded cookies on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until outside is firm.  The insides will still be gooey.  Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment