Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Chocolate Pudding (It's vegan, ya'll!)

Searching on the Internet for vegan, dairy-free, grain-free, and low-sugar recipes brings up a lot of ridiculous foods.  Most of the them I discard because gluten-free bakers like to use a lot of weird flours, powders, and gums. Many of the grain-free recipes go to great lengths...using nuts or dried fruits or even ground meats in place of breads and crusts.  These recipes make me smile because they seem so outlandish, but when I look closer, some of them have real culinary potential.  I love that people all around the world are analyzing and learning and creating great (and some not so great) foods.  I named this blog the "experimental alchemist" because that's what I love doing, too!  I am one of millions of culinary alchemists who are always looking for the next great combination of flavors, or savvy cooking techniques, or trying to use familiar ingredients in mind-bending ways.

So, my newest dessert experiment was chocolate pudding made with white beans.  Now the recipe below might not sound that weird or different, but I thought it was a good example of vegan creativity.  And it fits my criteria: grain-free and low sugar desserts.  Although I think it's pretty cool, I'm not convinced it will win over the less-daring eaters.  I have to say that I love beans (we eat a lot of them...I'm making black bean burgers again today!), but as a dessert...?  For me, the texture of beans is fabulous in some applications, but when I'm expecting a creamy, smooth chocolate mousse, the mealy texture of beans just can't compete.  

Now, before I totally sell this recipe short, I have to say that I don't own a blender, and a food processor just can't puree the beans smooth enough for my liking.  I believe strongly that to make this recipe great, a blender is essential.  There is no other way to get the silky texture that I desire.  

On the bright side, this pudding is actually kind of delicious.  I was surprised at how is tasted...just like chocolate pudding.  Despite the slightly mealy texture caused by my food processor, this pudding was almost like chocolate mousse!  It was rich and slightly airy.  So, all in all, I actually would recommend trying this one out!

What I would change about this recipe:

1. Use a blender!!!!
2. Add in a little coconut oil (maybe 1-2 TB), melted, to give it that nice, smooth mouth feel.
3. Use a little less sugar.  I found the chocolate I used to be perfectly sweet without any addition.  But this is up to individual taste!

White Bean Chocolate Pudding
(adapted from HeathfulPursuit: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013/02/vegan-chocolate-pudding-soy-free-nut-free-cookbook-news/)
makes about 4 small pudding cups

1 1/2 cup cooked white navy beans
about 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 cup dark chocolate chips 
1 TB brown sugar (Though I would probably use about 1 tsp next time)
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coffee extract, optional

Other additions: I have not tried these, but they sound good :)

fresh mint
peanut butter swirl
jam swirl
pinch of cardamom, ground
nuts or dried fruit
granola topping
vanilla yogurt

1. In a blender or food processor, add in beans, milk, salt, and extracts.  Blend until very smooth and silky.  Add more milk as necessary.




2. Heat a double boiler (a sauce pan with water in the bottom and a stainless steel or glass bowl on top).  Add in chocolate and sugar.  Melt chocolate and stir until sugar is dissolved.  





OR
In a microwave safe bowl, add in chocolate and sugar.  Heat in the microwave 30 secs at a time, stirring between each heating, until chocolate is melted and sugar is dissolved.  (Watch the chocolate!! This method makes it easy for the chocolate to burn!)




3. Add melted chocolate to bean mixture and stir until well combined.  Pour pudding into pudding cups and cover with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate until set, about 1-2 hours (this pudding tasted even better overnight!).  Will keep in the fridge for about 3 days.


Being slightly less messy that me would be good! Haha!  Enjoy! :)


1 comment:

  1. Can you freeze? If so, does the texture get effected much? Like get granular or watery/separate? I cooked more (from dried) beans than I thought I'd have and would just like to make a big batch all at once, then give to friends along the way, over the upcoming weeks (it's a good way to promote veganism).

    ReplyDelete