Thursday, April 11, 2013

Rockfish Tacos!

Yesterday, I mentioned I had been inspired to make fish tacos after hearing a segment from The Splendid Table.  This radio program is featured every Sunday afternoon on NPR (or OPB...Portland's local station) and explores almost everything you ever wanted to know about food.  A woman called in wanting to know how she could improve on her fish taco recipe, and the answer she got gave me all sorts of ideas. 
A good fish taco starts with the fish itself: what kind of fish will you use?  Will you pan fry it or grill it?  Will you marinate it before cooking or will you create a flavorful batter for it?  Grilling can be healthier than frying, but each cooking method gives you a completely different flavor and texture.
Then comes toppings.  The Splendid Table recommended crema (a Mexican condiment much like creme fraiche or sour cream) for its smooth creaminess, and iceberg lettuce and tomato for crunch. I was surprised that iceberg lettuce was the topping of choice because I prefer shredded cabbage, but it made me think how diverse tacos can be!
For my tacos, I decided to pan-fry them since I don't have a working grill.  Plus, I had one beer left in the fridge...perfect for beer batter!  I also wanted an element of moisture, so I decided upon a cucumber salsa, which also brought in some heat.  Then I topped it with my ever-present shredded cabbage salad.
Was my combination successful?  I think so...however it is just one of many, many things that you can do.  And I'm not sure I can ever successfully recreate my first, glorious experience with fish tacos.  My first ever fish taco was eaten in Encinitas, California when I was on vacation with my family when I was about 16.  We initially went to southern Cali to go to the San Diego Zoo, which was spectacular, but some of my favorite memories were of the tiny little beach towns just north of the big city.  While driving south toward San Diego one day, we saw a huge sign declaring "Fish Tacos $1.99!"  None of us had ever had a fish taco, and since we were right next to the ocean where seafood is freshest, we jumped at the chance to try something new.  As it turns out, the restaurant was new and tiny with an open air porch.  We each ordered a couple of tacos and fruit smoothies and sat down to one of my most memorable lunches.  The fish was incredibly fresh and simply seasoned, and the smoothies cooled off the bright hot day.  I thought: "California life is pretty darn awesome!"  Not only was lunch amazing, but next door was an adorable little bakery that had the best cream-filled chocolate doughnuts I have ever had.  It is safe to say that we spent almost every meal after that at "our little fish taco place" knowing that there would be a chocolate doughnut at the end of it all.
My food sensibilities have expanded greatly since then, and although I love creating new recipes all the time, I know it is simple, classic food like those fish tacos that really speak to people.  They didn't just feed us, they created a whole "California" experience, so when I think of San Diego, I immediately am transported back to that tiny little restaurant in Encinitas.

This recipe, however, is my simple version, made with what I had available in my pantry.  I hope it will inspire you to mix and match as you see fit...and hopefully create some new great food memories!

T.E.A.'s Rockfish Tacos
serves 2 (or about 4 small tacos)

Beer Battered Fried Fish:

10-12oz of rockfish fillets
1/2 cup chickpea flour 
1/4-1/2 cup beer
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne or paprika (optional)
coconut oil for frying (or other high-heat frying oil)

1.  In a flat bottomed dish, whisk together flour, beer, and seasoning until smooth.  Dry off fish with a paper towel, then coat it well with the batter. 







2.  Heat a skillet on medium high heat until very hot or the oil is just about to smoke.  Place battered fish in pan and fry until golden brown on both sides.




3.  If your fish is very thick (1-2 inches), place fish in a 400F oven for about 10 minutes or until completely cooked through.  It should be white and flaky all the way to the middle, but still moist.  If your fish is thin, pan-frying may cooking it completely, so you can skip putting it in the oven.

You can see my fish was still pink in the middle!


4. Flake fish into bite-sized pieces for tacos and serve hot.



Cucumber salsa

1 large cucumber, small dice
juice of 1 lime
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
salt to taste

1.  Add all ingredients together.  This can be refrigerated beforehand in order to marinate the cucumber.






In hindsight, I would have cut the cucumber even smaller because it would have fit better in the taco.


Fish Tacos:

fried Rockfish
cucumber salsa
shredded cabbage with chopped green onion
small corn tortillas, warmed

1. On a warm tortilla, add hot fish, cucumber salsa, and top with cabbage...and Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment