Friday, April 19, 2013

"Fruit Water"

It's been really beautiful in Portland lately. I've been spending a lot of time outside, gardening.  My azalea bush out front is covered it hot pink blossoms and our grass grows several inches a day.  But ironically, it is cold and rainy again today.  I wanted to post a really great summer drink tip, but it seems silly when all I want to do with dress in heavy fleece and drink lots of milky rooibos tea.  But, what the hey, I'm going to do it anyway.  Maybe it will tell the weather gods to actually make it warm soon.  
While "food surfing" the intertoobs the other day, I found a post about making homemade vitamin water.  Now, to preface, I think that calling it vitamin water is kind of silly, since I immediately think of the sugar-laden "sports drinks" (no, I'm not opinionated about them or anything).  So, in light of that, I'll just call them "fruit water" though that sounds kinda lame.  I should come up with a better title.
Anyway, that all aside, Fruit Water is such a brilliant, easy idea to spice up your summer drinks.  They are fresh and healthy, and actually do contain the natural vitamins and minerals contained in fruit.  Basically, all Fruit Water is...is water with fruit in it.  Yep.  That it.  I've been hem-hawing (yes, that's a thing) about how to write this blog because, well, who needs to be told that it's kinda cool to put fruit in your water?  Well, I do I guess.
As much as I downplay it, Fruit Water actually has a lot going for it:

1. It's healthy and cheap.
2. You can control how much sugar (if any) is put into it.
3. It looks super pretty in a pitcher.
4. You can easily turn the concept into homemade lemonade or sangria
5. It makes water taste pretty darn great.
6. It helps keep you happily hydrated in warm weather.


Here is my first attempt at Fruit Water.  
NOTE: I used store-bought Limeade (gasp!) because I had some leftover from a party we threw for our friends.  In hindsight, I should have made homemade limeade which would have made our Vodka Limeades that much more pretentious.  But I was being lazy.  As usual.  And it totally destroys my point about controlling sugar content. Oops.  However, it was really delicious.

Strawberry Lime(ade) Water

strawberries
lime juice (or limeade)
water
ice (optional)
sugar or honey (optional)

Add ingredients in a food processor or blender.  Blend until smooth.  Enjoy!






This was my simple take on Fruit Water, but there are so many other options!  You can add in any fruit and through in a dash of fresh herbs or even spices!  You can chop the fruit and leave it whole, like a traditional sangria, or you can blend it until smooth for a smoothie-like consistency.

Here are some yummy combinations that I will have to try:

Blackberry Sage
Mango and Pineapple
Apple Mint
Pineapple Mint
Citrus Combo: orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit
watermelon lime
raspberry ginger mint




Homemade Lemonade: aka Sweet Fruit Water

about 5-6 lemons or limes, juiced
fruit, blended smooth (otional, though I LOVE peach lemonade!) 
water
simple syrup 
fresh herbs (optional)

1. To make the simple syrup, add 1 cup sugar to 1 cup water in a small saucepan and boil until sugar is dissolved.
2. Add fruit, water, and as much simple syrup needed to make it sweet (don't pour the whole batch of simple syrup in at once, hah) into a pitcher.  Stir, serve over ice and enjoy!
NOTE: simple syrup will keep in the fridge for a couple weeks and is great for cocktails, too!




Homemade Sangria

fruit, chopped or pureed (apple and pear are good options)
wine
ice, optional

1. Add into a pitcher, stir and enjoy

NOTE: I really LOVE vermouth sangria.  I buy Gallo sangria which goes for about 6 bucks a bottle.  It comes in extra-dry (which is my favorite) and sweet.  Both are delicious.
For those of you that don't know about vermouth, it is basically wine (usually white) that has been steeped with a variety of spices/herbs.  It has an herbal depth to it that regular wine lacks and can really enhance a cocktail.  It is traditionally used in martinis.


So, yeah, I'm ready for summer!  Time for lying in the sun with an ice cold Fruit Water and a good book! 



No comments:

Post a Comment