Monday, August 5, 2013

Korean BBQ burgers

So, I got a bike recently!  It seems silly to even mention it, but I've been delightedly riding around my neighborhood for miles.  That being said, all that exercise has made me even more hungry!  I felt the need for a big, juicy burger this weekend, and found this amazing new burger recipe that I wanted to share! 

I like this recipe in particular because the burger itself is so richly flavorful that it can stand alone as the star.  I did make the miso mayo that went with the original recipe, but I didn't feel that it needed it.  I would have been happy with just lettuce, and maybe a little tomato.  That being said, I felt that this burger was maybe a bit intense...I wouldn't have added extra salt to it because it really doesn't need any.  Actually, the original recipe didn't call for extra salt, but I added more out of habit.  So, don't make my mistake!  

Also, I decided to bake my burgers.  This technique is not as delicious as say, grilling, because you don't get that nice char flavor.  But my little grill has not been used in...years?...so I decided to go the easy route and just pop them in the oven.  This is a great way to get a tasty well-done burger without it drying out.  You can pan fry or grill these burgers, too, but they tend to fall apart easily. 

The original recipe also called for pickled onions and radishes as a garnish (see link below for recipe).  I didn't make these, but I feel like they would be a great compliment to these very rich burgers.  The tartness of onions and radishes would lighten the whole dish.  But fresh, crispy lettuce also works.  Actually, these burgers make a great addition to salads!  If you would like to go grain/carb free, just crumble the cooked burger over a crunchy green salad!


Korean BBQ Burgers
adapted from Panning the Globe blog
(Link found HERE)
makes 6 small or 4 large burgers

1 pound ground beef (I used 10% fat ground beef for a little extra richness and moisture)
1/4 cup green onions, chopped fine
1 TB soy sauce
1 TB brown sugar
1/2 TB toasted sesame oil
1 tsp garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced (using dried, ground ginger would also be OK)
black pepper to taste

1. Heat oven to 400F.  Prepare a baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper on top...or heat the grill!
2. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and mix them thoroughly with your hands.





3. Form 4 to 6 patties of equal weight and place them on your baking sheet.



4. Bake burgers for 12-20 minutes depending on how rare you like them.  I baked mine for about 20 minuets, and they were well done, but still juicy.
5. Serve hot with toasted hamburger buns, lettuce, tomato OR miso mayo and pickled veggies OR crumbled on top of a salad.  




Miso Mayo
also adapted from Panning the Globe



1 TB white miso
2 TB mayo
1 TB sriracha hot sauce (or less if you don't like super spicy!)

1. Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.  Use immediately or refrigerate for up to a week.



NOTE 1: this is completely delicious and would go great as a salad dressing, or as a sandwich spread.  I thought it was a little much for this burger in particular, but it's a good recipe to try!
NOTE 2: there are many different types of miso, and they may be in different places on the grocery shelves.  I found a dark brown miso in the Asian section of dry goods, but the white miso I needed was in the refrigerated section near the hummus and other pre-made items.  





ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment