Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Kimchi Fried "Rice"

So, I was looking at the OBP website (our local NPR/PBS station) the other day searching for interesting local videos.  I immediately found a short video about how to make kimchi fried rice.  I was stoked because I have been wanting to try kimchi for some time now.  Kimchi is fermented cabbage and spices, kind of like the Asian version of sauerkraut, except it is much less sour, and has more flavor since it contains garlic and chilies.  I have been reading lately that fermented foods (like kimchi, sauerkraut, yogurt, and kefir) are really good for you because they contain healthy bacteria and well as essential vitamins and minerals.  I have never tried kimchi before, but it seemed like a good time to try it out.

I also thought I would substitute cauliflower "rice" for regular rice.  I've been making this as a low-carb substitute and its taste and texture are very similar to rice.  Plus, it is is much faster to make.  All you need to do is chop it in the food processor, then blanch it quickly in boiling, salted water, then drain it and it is ready to go!

This dish, however, was not completely successful.  First of all, I decided to use only tofu in the recipe as the protein.  There is nothing wrong with this, but I did not prep the tofu correctly, so it became a mushy mess.  Firm tofu needs to be "squeezed" and dried thoroughly in order to stir fry it.  Otherwise, it is too wet and will stick to the pan and fall apart...which is exactly what happened to me.  Whoops.  I was in a hurry, and hungry, but I learned my lesson and will be more prepared next time.




Secondly, the cauliflower rice does not substitute as well for fried rice.  There is a density to rice that allows it to be fried and still hold up. Cauliflower, on the other hand, just gets softer as it is cooked, and will become slightly mushy if cooked too long.  While mine was not mushy, it didn't hold up as well to cooking as I had hoped.  In hindsight, I would only have just blanched it, then served the stir fry on top of it, instead of trying to stir fry it with the rest of the ingredients.

Even though the texture of this dish did not turn out as intended, I found that I'm a big fan of kimchi.  It is extremely flavorful on its own which means it doesn't need a whole lot of manipulation or extra seasoning to be delicious.  It has the potential to be a staple in my household... I would add it to stir frys, soups, or even use it as a garnish for meat or fish.  The kimchi alone made my stir fry very flavorful.  My next long project will be making kimchi from scratch!




T.E.A.'s Kimchi Fried "Rice"
serves 6-8 people

NOTE: Adding in meat of your choice would also be great.  You can do both tofu and chicken/pork/beef/seafood.

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 or 2 blocks firm tofu
2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
1 package bean sprouts (about 2 cups)
1 cup green onion, chopped
1 bottle kimchi (about 16 oz or 2 cups)
1 TB red curry paste

soy sauce, to taste as needed
coconut or vegetable oil as needed for frying

fried egg for garnish, optional





1. Place the tofu block between paper towels (or very clean kitchen towels) and weight it down with a plate.  Leave to drain off its moisture for about 20-30 mins.  This should dry the tofu enough to stir fry without falling apart. After it has drained, cut tofu into 1" cubes and set aside.




2.  Place cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until the size of rice grains.  Place "grains" in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 1 minute.  Drain off and rinse with cold water.  Set aside.




3. In a large skillet, heat about 1 TB coconut oil and add bean sprouts, broccoli, and green onion.  Saute for 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is bright green.  Remove from skillet and set aside.




4. In the hot skillet, add tofu cubes, kimchi, curry paste, and a little soy sauce if necessary.  Saute until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.  Add in "rice" and sauteed veggies.  Mix until heated through, about 1 minute.



5. Serve hot with a fried egg, green onion, and cilantro as desired.



Also, it is my husband's spring break!  So, I might not be on for the next week or so...I'm going to be gaming, eating, drinking, hiking, dog-walking, and spending good times with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment