Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cookbook Recommendation: The World's Best Street Food



I mentioned this cookbook in a recent post about Thai noodle soup, Kuaytiaw, but it is one of the major cookbooks from which I draw inspiration.  As you may have noticed already, I am deeply interested in world cuisines, especially Indian and Mediterranean.  What is great about The World's Best Street Food is it covers the entire world and has chosen some ideal dishes to represent each culture. I found this little gem when I was back home in Colorado over the summer.  Our little town has a fabulous locally-owned bookstore, and it is the perfect place to avoid the summer heat.  I, of course, parked myself right in front of their cookbook section.  I had been trying to find some new baking cookbooks since, at the time, I was obsessed with pastries.  And while I did find a perfect fit for that in Pie in the Sky: Successful Baking at High Altitudes by Susan G. Purdy, I also found this book of street food tucked away in the midst of more grand looking cookbooks.  It is small, but dense.  Not only does it have great recipes that are clearly explained (especially for the American cook, who might not be familiar with all the ingredients), but it is in another sense, a travel book that can transport you to the streets of India, South America, or Japan.  Each recipe gets two full pages, one for the recipe description, and the other for a low-down on what the food is, where it came from, and how it tastes (or is supposed to taste).  It is a great introduction to world cuisines because it shows what people eat on a daily basis, what is quick or easy or cheap....much like hot dogs represent a fundamental American experience. 
I love cookbooks that are as fun to read as cooking the recipes in them.  This one, in particular, I read cover to cover before I even tried any of the food.  I am fascinated by the wide variety of food in the world and how people make it, eat it, and sell it. This book is a good introduction to all of these aspects.
The main reason that I wanted to review this cookbook was not to make you want to run out a get it immediately (although it is a good one).  I am very interested in what makes a good cookbook. There are so many out there that I become overwhelmed.  I always take a careful look at the recipes and make sure they are clear and concise, but more than that, I like a cookbook to inspire and teach me.  I always feel more connected to the food when I have some background or information about its origins.  For example, my mother-in-law found a cookbook that specifically focused on food for cancer patients.  The recipes were stringently tested for their nutrient content, but also for their flavor because chemo can change a person's sense of taste and appetite.  All the food was simple, but beautiful and delicious.  I loved that cookbook because it was made with knowlege, successful experimentation, and a lot of love.  
So, when you find a good cookbook, it is important to share it! I have several more that I want to share, since you can never have enough good cookbooks! :)

The World's Best Street Food: Where to Find it and How to Make it
By Lonely Planet
http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/world/worlds-best-street-food/

No comments:

Post a Comment