Monday, February 4, 2013

Let's Garbonzo!

So, I've been really obsessed with garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) all week.  I have had them in all forms: fresh, fried, pureed, even in flour form!  Now, I must admit that I used to hate chickpeas.  I have had them whole in soups, and I do not relish their mealy flavor.  However, there are so many things to do with chickpeas that I have come to love them deeply.  In school, I was introduced to garbanzo bean flour, which is an excellent gluten free alternative to wheat flour...in certain applications.  This flour fries well and makes awesome falafel and can be used as breading on chicken.  It can even be used to make crepes (see recipe here) or flat breads.  Garbanzo bean flour has a very strong, nutty taste, so it is not a good replacement for more neutral flours.  I make falafel out of this flour almost ever morning.  It is delicious with a fried egg on top garnished with a handful of arugula.  It is a lower carb replacement for toast, plus it is packed with protein and fiber.  It is also cheap compared to most alternative flours (about $2 per pound).   Garbanzo bean flour can be slightly hard to find, but most health food stores would carry it.  




T.E.A Falafel
Adapted from the recipe from Bob's Red Mill
makes 4 small patties

1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
1/2 tsp baking soda (this makes the falafel light and fluffy!)
1 tsp lemon juice (or other vinegar...rice or apple cider works ok)
salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp)
hot water
oil for frying
Other additions:
1/4 cup green onion, fine chop
1/4 cup cilantro, minced

NOTE: Fresh chickpeas can also be used.  Just chop the finely or puree them in a food processor.

1.Add all dry ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.  Add in lemon juice and enough hot water to make a sticky dough (about 1/4-1/2 cup).
2. Heat a skillet on medium high heat with enough oil to coat the bottom.  When oil is hot, drop spoonfuls of dough (or you can form round patties about 1/2 inch thick) into oil.  Patties should bubble and sizzle when dropped into oil.  Fry on one side until golden brown, then flip and repeat on other side.
3.  Remove patties and drain on paper towels.  Serve immediately.  You can keep them warm in the oven, but they will lose some of their crunchiness.


The other thing that I've been making a lot this week is hummus.  I adore hummus, but I tend to eat a lot of bread/crackers/chips with it, so I don't eat it often.  Actually, it goes great with carrot sticks or celery...but it can be hard to be that healthy.  Bread has always been my downfall.  This week was no exception (I ate a lot of rice chips and hummus), but I did pair it with salad, so it's not so bad.  I also had a bit of an experimentation slip up while trying to make a new hummus recipe.  The great thing about garbanzos is they combine well with other flavors and spices.  My grocery has a whole wall of hummus that contains dozens of different flavors: olive, roasted pepper, roasted garlic, basil.  So, I thought I would just make my own combination and it would turn out great.  However, I failed to use simple hummus guidelines.  That was my first pitfall.  The average hummus recipe contains chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed butter), lemon juice, and olive oil.  Simple, elegant, delicious.  But I had heard that you could use peanut butter (unsalted/unsweetened) in place of the tahini.  I happily bought some fresh, dry roasted peanut butter at the grocery thinking it will be a perfect substitute for expensive tahini.  




Well, let me just say...nope.  That did not work.  You don't realize how strong peanut flavor is until you try and pair it with something more subtle like fresh chickpeas.  The peanut butter was completely overpowering.  I knew I had to do something quick, and since I didn't have lemon juice, I decided the jar of pepperoncinis that I had bought would be a great substitute for the lemon juice...and would add a dash of spice.  As strong as pepperoncinis might be, once whirled together with the chickpeas and peanut butter, their flavor was altogether hidden.  




"Maybe it could use some herbs?" I thought, trying desperately to think how to save what was supposed to be a delicious, delicious dip.  I added in a whole cup of fresh parsley, which promptly turned the whole concoction green.  The taste, however, was improved.  I wouldn't have added so much parsley, but it did add a nice freshness to the dish.  A little dash of salt also enhanced the flavor, but the damage had been done.  Although edible (yes, I did eat it all), it was not the hummus that I so desired.




So, what did I learn from this slight disaster?  Sometimes a tried and true recipe (that has been made and passed down for a long, long time) is probably best to follow if you're looking to recreate its flavor.  If you want a completely different product...go off the rails like I did!  My next batch of hummus was more subdued, but exponentially more satisfying because it was, in fact, true hummus.  The biggest change was using tahini this time instead of peanut butter.  Tahini is slightly expensive, but one jar will last a good amount of time.  Plus, it is the best way to make great hummus.  
FUN NOTE: Garbanzo beans and tahini make a complete protein!  This means it has all 9 essential amino acids (essential amino acids are those we cannot make naturally in our bodies), so it is great for vegetarians or people who want to eat a little less meat. :)


T.E.A. Hummus
Adapted from most hummus recipes

1 cup fresh garbanzo beans (you can used canned, but make sure to rinse them thoroughly)
1/2 cup tahini (I used unsalted, but if you use salted, taste the hummus before adding more salt)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
1/2 tsp turmeric (for color and flavor)
juice of 1 lemon
good quality olive oil (I say "good quality" because your hummus will end up tasting strongly of what ever oil you use.  Lesser quality olive oils can be bitter which can make your hummus less appetizing.)
salt to taste

NOTE: If using dried chickpeas, make sure to soak them at least 8 hours or overnight.  Not only does this shorten cooking times, but it helps the beans to hydrate evenly, so they are less likely to split or cook unevenly (outside soft, while inside is hard).  Also, soaking helps to preserve most of the nutrients in the bean.  And don't forget...beans are dirty, so they must be washed anyway!




For Chickpeas:
1. Soak chickpeas 8 hours or overnight.  Rinse and drain.
2. Add chickpeas to pot with enough water to fully cover them.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and simmer until fully tender (about 1 hour).  Drain, and spread out on a baking sheet to cool quickly.  These beans can be used immediately or can be frozen for later use.
For Hummus:
3.  Add chickpeas, tahini, spices, and lemon juice to a food processor and pulse to combine.  While the food processor runs, drizzle in olive oil.  Use enough olive oil to combine all ingredients and create a loose paste.  Taste, and add salt as needed.  
4. Pour into a bowl or airtight container.  Will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.

Hummus is a super yummy, healthy dip alternative.  It goes great with cracker/chips as well as veggies.  It is also wonderful as a condiment on burgers or sandwiches.  Dollop a little on your morning eggs or spread on toast.  Be creative!  Hummus is a perfect, healthy snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment